As the weather starts to cool down and the days grow shorter, you may consider putting your lawn care efforts on hold until spring. However, fall is an ideal time to seed your lawn. The cooler temperatures and increased moisture help grass seeds germinate quickly and establish a deep, healthy root system. With some preparation, you can have a lush, green lawn come spring.
Here are a few reasons to consider planting grass seed at the beginning of fall:
1. The cooler temperatures are easier on the grass seeds. As a result, they won’t dry out as quickly and won’t be subject to the intense heat of summer.
2. The increased moisture in the fall helps grass seeds germinate quickly. They may even grow faster than they would in the spring.
3. The long days in the fall give the grass seeds more time to germinate. As a result, they’ll have a head start on the grass seed in the spring.
4. The cooler temperatures of fall help the grass seeds establish a deep, healthy root system. This is important for the long-term health of your lawn.
5. You’ll have a head start on your spring lawn care. By seeding in the fall, you’ll be ahead of the game come spring. As a result, Fall seeding will better establish your lawn, and you’ll have less work.
Contact a lawn care professional for help if you’re considering seeding your lawn this fall. They can advise you on the best type of grass seed for your climate and lawn and help you prepare your property for planting. Then, with some planning and effort, you can have a beautiful, green lawn come spring.